Saturday, October 20, 2007

No Respect


I have always thought contest surfing was, well just not my thing. I always thought that surfing is a very subjective 'sport' and difficult to judge. Well, today I found out how hard, by being asked to do judge a pro level contest here in Newcastle. The difficulty in assigning points to a certain ride, and then remembering all the waves before, so you can be fair to everyone in your
scoring, is much more difficult than it seems.
The other thing is that guys livelihoods depend on your opinion weighed heavily on my mind as well. The perspective of the judges makes it hard to tell just how difficult the turn was, and sometimes I think rides were under/over scored. Just depends...
Anyway, I take back what I have said about contests, and judges.
However, it still isn't my thing...

No comments: